Family Dispute Resolution


Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) is a type of mediation where separated parties can sort out their family disputes (Parenting matters) out of the court facilitated by neutral and impartial mediator. These mediators are accredited from Attorney General's Department and called Family Dispute Resolution practitioner (FDRP) under the standards set out in the Family Law (Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners) Regulations 2008.

Is it compulsory?

In most of the separated parents issues, yes it is compulsory to attend Family Dispute Resolution but there are certain exemptions to this requirement:

  • Where family violence and child protection is a factor
  • Urgent issues
  • Due to incapacity of geographical location and;
  • A person shown a serious disregard for a court order made in the last 12 months

What if we reach on an agreement?

if the parties in FDR reached on an agreement, then those agreements are good will agreements. You don't need to go to court unless you want to convert the agreements in to consent order because agreement made in mediation are not binding.

What if we do not reach on an agreement?

In this case, FDRP will issue a Section 60-I certificate so that you can contact court and present certificate that you attempted FDR process for your issues. The certificate is valid for 12 months.